Ferrell was named after Thomas M .Ferrell of Glassboro who was a well-known, well-liked
politician in this area. He strived hard for benefits for the working man. Originally
Ferrell was known as Fairview, but when a post office was established, the name was
changed because there already was a Fairview in New Jersey. The post office was located
on the corner, near the Ferrell Methodist Church in 1865 with Mulford Lafferty as
the postmaster. After a short time the post office was closed and the building became
a general store.
Originally, Ferrell was mostly woods with small dirt roads going through them.
In 1923 the Bridgeton Pike was laid, this being the first cement road in the area.
It was known as the Mullica Hill and Pittsgrove Turnpike, with a toll gate located
at the norhtern end of Elk Township on the property now known as Selb`s.
The Franklinville-Swedesboro Road was originally the "Swedesboro to Little
The first telephone in "Fairview" was known as the "people`s telephone",
and in 1927 electricity was brought into the area. It came from Clayton, through
Elk Township, and stopped at the Bridgeton Pike.
Farming and basket making was the chief occupations . There was a basket factory
located at the now Krassow property which was latter turned into a general store
, conducted by John Henery Frye . There was a loading platform where farmers brought
their produce to be taken to market, on the corner across from what is now the Mattson
property . The first automobile to pass through " Fairview " was owned
and driven by Walter Turk .
Mr. Jacob Porch operated a pickle processing plant in Ferrell where pickles were
put in wooden barrels and sent to New York. During this time Ferrell acquired the
nickname of "Pickletown". It was told by the early settlers that each night
a lantern was raised up a pole at this pickle processing plant ; the reason for this
was never known, but still raises great mystery and speculation. The location of
this pickle processing plant was across from the Ferrell Fire House, at the site
known as the Knapp property .
The Fryes, Morgans, Laffertys, Nelsons, and Moods were some of the earliest settlers.
Joseph Nelson who lived in the Howard Saul house, had two sons, Frank and Lorenzo,
who built the Mattson house in 1898 and the Pino house in 1901.
Other old homes in this area include, the Cyrillies house, built in 1898, and
the Emma Schober home predating that.
Ferrel Church (1915)
It was in Ferrell on the Lewis Mood, Sr Farm, now owned by Richard Mood,Sr.,that
the delicious apple originated in 1923. The Mood`s were the early fruit growers in
this area .
The first school of Ferrell was a log cabin ; however , ground was donated by
John Lafferty in 1875 for a new building. This school was located
on the corner of Glassboro-Ferrell Road and the Sweedesboro-Franklinville Roads.
It was a one-room school with four classes, but was closed in 1944 when all children
were transferred to Aura. Some of the early teachers were Mrs.Haines, Mrs.Davis,
Miss.Dilks, Mrs.Pearl Hudson, and Mrs.May L.(Batten) Gerlack. The school has been
remodeled and is used for Fire Company purposes and social functions .
One of the cabins of an original settler of Ferrell can now be seen at Smithville
Village. It was originally on the Mood Farm, and has been moved by the Smithville
Village to its present location. It is called the " Mullica House ".