PINE TAVERN -(1752)
(This site is to be recognized by the Gloucester County
Bicentennial Committee, as one of the 89 historical sites in Gloucester County, and
will be permanently marked during the 1976 Bicentennial year).
Tavern" is located about four and a half miles below Mullica Hill, just off
the Bridgeton pike in Elk Township. Pine Tavern was one of the many old taverns built
along the main highways during the seventeenth and 18th century.
that seem short today were then long, tiresome journeys. Roads were not laid out
straight, but followed the path of least resistance, winding around the hillsides
and fording streams. Often times the ruts were axle deep in mud and sand, therefore
the tavern was a great necessity for the traveling public. They were also used as
meeting places of the community for the transaction of businesses, and in some instances
for court purposes.
Pine Tavern, being situated on the old stage route from
Camden to Roadstown (Bridgeton), was one of the stopping places where mail and passengers
were discharged and horses changed enroute. It was also the social center of the
community, especially during the winter months when the sleighing was good. Horse
racing led the sports, with sometimes a few wrestling matches, and during the long
winter evenings, fiddlers furnished an endless supply of music such as "Devil's
Dream", "Virginia Reel" and "Turkey in the Straw", for those
who cared to dance.
Many has been the party on an old bob-sled with two and
sometimes four horses pulling the party over the snow-bound roads to spend a merry
evening dancing at "Old Pine Tavern".
To be a tavern keeper in
the olden days, one had to be of sound moral character and vouched for by the highly
respected citizens of the community, and according to an old statute of New Jersey,
he had also to be possessed of "two good feather beds more than necessary for
the family's use, with house room, stabling and pasturage".
was the petition of Robert Whitaker, who desired a license for The Pine Tavern for
the year 1776.
"To the Honourable Justice for the Court of General Quarter
Sessions of the peace, to bt held on the third Tuesday in June, for the County of
Humbly Sheweth -- That we the subscribers begs leave to recommend
to your Honours Robert Whitticer as a suitable person to keep a public house or inn,
in the Township of Woodwich and the County above said. And in the house called "Pine
Tavern" where he the said Whitticer now lives; and being provided with sufficient
Necessaries for man and beast Agreeable to an Act in these cases made and Provided!
And that your honours would be pleased to grant him your license for the ensuring
year, then we as in Duty bound shall every pray"
Signed on June 10, 1776
Gosling, John Hutchinson, Robert Taylor, Andrew Richman, Sawtwl Elwell, John Mickesen,
Wm. Eldredge, John Cozens, Wm. Zane, Thomas Batten, John Smith, Isaac Zane..
The structure is of frame, with the center section a cabin hewn from logs. There
are three fireplaces and a stairway which are original.
The following was
taken from "Old Inns and Taverns in West Jersey" by Charles Boyer, written
1962 and authenticated at the Gloucester County Historical Society.
noted "Pine Tavern" at Pineville, on the "Cohawking Road", as
portion of the old Cumberland Road between Oldman's and Raccoon Creek, was known
to all travelers from Cumberland County to Cooper's Ferries. The first Person whom
we have been able to connect with this house as proprieter is William Lindsey. He
was evidently well established by May, 1752, when he announced to the court that
he "keeps a publick house of entertainment on a road very much frequented by
travellers and there being no publick house in the County of Gloucester within many
miles of his House". He was succeeded in 1759 by Jon Pinyard, Jr., who described
his house on the "Cohawky Road". Pinyard was here until his death in 1768
when his widow, Martha Rnyard, took the tavern, but soon turned its management over
to her son-in-law, John Munyan (Munyon), Jr. He did not last very long and in 1770
Martha Pinyard was back "in the old Accustomed Place".
1776, Robert Whitaker (Whitacar) was located at Pine Tavern, where he remained for
one year, and then moved to Salem County. He was early in the Revolution suspected
of being in sympathy with the English and, in 1778, was arrested, tried and convicted
of high treason and sentenced to be hung. On a petition of sundry inhabitants, the
Council advised the Governor to grant him a pardon "on condition of his leaving
this State in two months and the United States of America in six months from the
date of his pardon". His property, however, was seized and was sold for the
benefit of State. Frank H. Stewart states that his personal property amounted to
f195.18.19 and his real estate to E1000. Some of this property was sold in 1778 and
the balance at thePine Tavern on April 1, 1779.
John Hutchinson was the next
landlord and was here in 1778, 1779,
and 1780, and possibly longer. The next tavern
keeper who was known to have been there was Daniel Mulford. In his petition for a
license in March 1785 he promised the court that he would make improvements to the
"old frequfnted Tavern," but it is quite evident that they were not intended
to be for the comfort of the guest. Judge Elmer gives us a picture of conditions
as they were in 1786, based on the journal of a young lady, who visited Bridgeton
at that time. Her party left Cooper's Ferry (Camden) and travelled through Gloucester,
Woodbury and to Pine Tavern where they stopped overnight. She says "It was cold
and she complained of the scanty clothing on the beds, and that the windows were
not glazed and had no shutters only boards nailed up, and these an inch apart".
After keeping this tavern, which was one of the principal state stops for travellers
going to Bridgeton and Cape May, for four years, Mulford was succeeded by John Hutchinson
again (1789-1797). The latter was followed by John Nelson (1798-1799), Ephraim Carrol
(Carrel or Carl) (1800-1802) and Josiah Parvin of Cumberland County in 1803. By 1840,
the disreputable manner in which the old tavern had been conducted led to the filing
of a protest with the court by the neighbors against the granting it any further
licenses. When Richard Moffett, Jr., asked for permission to keep this house a short
time later his petition was rejected and the tavern was soon abandoned.
1849 "Pine Tavern" was recorded as being a store and post office called
Following is a list of the petitions for licenses
for "Pine Tavern" as recorded in the Historical Society Library Woodbury,
*1752 - William Lindsey
*1759 -John Pinyard, Jr.
-1780 -John Hutchinson
*1789 -1797- John Hutchinson
-1799 -John Nelson
*1800 -1803 -Joshua Parvin
*1821 - 1825 - Virtue Sweatman
*1826 - Isaac
*1829 -1831 - Priscilla Sayres
*1832 - 1835 - Foster Sayre
-1837 - Priscilla Savres
*1839 - Sarah Stull
*1840 - license rejected
(The following taken from the Gloucester County Co. Historical Bulletin 12/57).
"This old log and frame structure still stands a mute testimony of the earlier
days. In 1832 Foster Sayre was the Inn Keeper, and in 1838, Samuel French advertised
Pine Tavern for rent on the "Great Road to Bridgeton". In 1848 a post office
was established with Joseph H. French as Postmaster.
Here is apre-revolutionary
structure that has seen some exciting days and probably was a meeting place for the
purpose of transacting business concerning our interior protection during the Revolutionary
War. In fact not far from this structure were barracks and training grounds for the
Militia located at Pole Tavern, or as we know it today, Pittsgrove."
The property was sold on 7/13/1877 by transfer from J. Eugene Troth to John J. Ridgway
& Elizabeth. It was then bought by Charles H. Carr and Anna C. Morgan in 1888
and stayed in his family until 1915. His son, Oscar, conducted a general store here.
It was then deeded to Frank Ivins, thence to J. Richard Mood, Sr. who is now the
When Mr. Carr took ownership, he says, "there was a smooth place
across the road from the "Tavern" where patrons would roll cannon balls
for "drinks" at the Tavern. Strangers who passed by were "expected"
to buy rounds for the patrons present, or suffer the consequences".
The original property consisted of 143 acres, but now has been dissolved into the
property owned by Richard Mood, Jr. It is located behind the Ivins property on the
southern end of Elk Township, just off the Bridgeton Pike....